Pages


Friday, May 4, 2012

House of Night by PC & Kristen Cast series review

Marked (book one) Info
Released |May 1st 2007 by St. Martin's Press|
Edition |Paperback, 306 pages
The House of Night series is set in a world very much like our own, except in 16-year-old Zoey Redbird's world, vampyres have always existed.  In this first book in the series, Zoey enters the House of Night, a school where, after having undergone the Change, she will train to become an adult vampire -- that is, if she makes it through the Change.  Not all of those who are chosen do.  It's tough to begin a new life, away from her parents and friends, and on top of that, Zoey finds she is no average fledgling.  She has been Marked as special by the vampyre Goddess, Nyx.  But she is not the only fledgling at the House of Night with special powers.  When she discovers that the leader of the Dark Daughters, the school's most elite club, is misusing her Goddess-given gifts, Zoey must look deep within herself for the courage to embrace her destiny--with a little help from her new vampyre friends.
My Review
I like this series a lot. It's different and has some wonderful concepts about it. But the things with this series is that it's getting to long and drawn out. There are too many filler books that really don't need to be there. But sometimes the filler books are awesome, but some aren't and the filler books always seem to lead up to a book in the series that I loved. I am going to go through my likes and dislikes about this series. I read all the books except the novella, but I do have Dragon's Oath.



Likes
Stark -- Stark is my absolute favorite character in this series. He's just the kind of guy that I love in books and that draws me to them. He strong and brave and also has a love for Zoey that's TRUE. And the fact that he can shoot an arrow and never misses its target :) Awesome.
The tattoo things -- Lol I can't remember if they have a certain name. But the the tattoos that the fledglings and adult vamps have are so intriguing. That's the first thing about this series that caught my eye. I really like how the books describe Zoey's tats. I can really visualized them in my mind.
Red/Blue fledglings -- I really liked when the series brought along the red fledglings. It brought a whole new twist to the series that I really enjoyed. I thought it was a really neat concept!
Kalona -- Now I do love Kalona. He has his moments though. He's an indecisive nemesis, who doesn't know if he wants to be good or bad. Like really? But I do like his character :)
Also the books are filled with action! There's always something going on that takes you on an adventure with the characters.

Dislikes
Zoey and her need to fall in love with every single guy who shows a little interest in her. It just makes the books so unrealistic. Ugh! It really pisses me half. I'm rolling my eyes the majority of it when it happens. Seriously?! It's pissing me off just thinking about it!
Neferet (spell check) -- I just want to just in the book and kill the bitch already! Excuse the language, but gosh, really can't stand her. She takes being evil to a whole new level!
Filler books -- Some of them I like and some I don't. The ones I don't like are unnecessary to the series and have no point or relation to the actual story. Enough said with that.
Zoey's friends -- Now I like some of them, others...The twin thing, ANNOYING.
And my final dislike! *deep breath* -- WTF?! ZOEY HAS BEEN CRYING ALL THE DAMN LATELY IN EVERY DAMN BOOK! I swear she cries like 10 times a chapter. I just want to slap her. lol

My series rating is: 3.5 stars

I do like this series, but beware!

2 comments:

  1. I am going to go through my likes and dislikes about this series. I read all the books except the novella, but I do have Dragon's Oath.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I know what you mean. With a big series like that which involves so many characters, you have a lot to like, but it is always bound to become a mess at some point or the other and you just wish you could slaughter them all. Right? Still have to read Awakened and Destined, but I don't think they're going to change much of my overall opinion on the series.

    ReplyDelete