Pages


Sunday, November 11, 2012

Poison Princess by Kresley Cole

Poison Princess
(The Arcana Chronicles, #1)
by Kresley Cole
Released |October 2nd 2012 by Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers|
Edition |Ebook|
Add to Goodreads

She could save the world—or destroy it.
Sixteen year old Evangeline “Evie” Greene leads a charmed life, until she begins experiencing horrifying hallucinations. When an apocalyptic event decimates her Louisiana hometown, Evie realizes her hallucinations were actually visions of the future—and they’re still happening. Fighting for her life and desperate for answers, she must turn to her wrong-side-of-the-bayou classmate: Jack Deveaux.
But she can’t do either alone.
With his mile-long rap sheet, wicked grin, and bad attitude, Jack is like no boy Evie has ever known. Even though he once scorned her and everything she represented, he agrees to protect Evie on her quest. She knows she can’t totally depend on Jack. If he ever cast that wicked grin her way, could she possibly resist him?
Who can Evie trust?
As Jack and Evie race to find the source of her visions, they meet others who have gotten the same call. An ancient prophesy is being played out, and Evie is not the only one with special powers. A group of twenty-two teens has been chosen to reenact the ultimate battle between good and evil. But it’s not always clear who is on which side…


This book was so weird and interesting and awesome and crazy and weird again! It's so hard to describe my feelings for this book. At times I liked it, but then at times I didn't. This is the first book I've read  by Kresley Cole and her writing style is definitely unique. All in its own, it put me on a roller coaster ride. I've never read a book quite like this one. The whole concept was so interesting to read about, with the different Arcana. I've never read a book with those kind of elements to it before and have it the prominent matter.  But is that good or bad?!


I guess to start with the characters. Our protagonist, Evie, was a bit of a whiner. I didn't know how I would feel about her and to be honest I still don't. In the beginning she was kind of your typical rich girl, but then all things turn to hell when the flash hits. And she's still kind of a whiny brat, but she gets a tad bit tougher as the book progresses. I really liked her attitude though, even though at times I felt she argued about the stupidest things or when she needed to argue and say something, she didn't. And then there was Jack. I really liked Jack's character, but he sure knew how to piss me off. But like Evie said in the very beginning when she meets Arthur, Did everything she say that happened actually happen?! Jackson to me was a rugged kind of guy. He wasn't afraid to speak his mind and that's what I liked about him. Also, his fierce protectiveness and need to survive also added to his awesomeness.

Insert freaking Selena...I almost went on a cursing spree. Sorry, back to the blah of a character. Seriously!!! Why did she even become a part of the group! Things were going so great without her being in the mix and the boom...We meet Selena and my tolerance for the book went downhill. EVERY SINGLE TIME she spoke words in this book I rolled my eyes. She annoyed me to the extreme, and yes, it was mainly because of her and Jackson. I am rolling my eyes as type, just so you know. Done with talking about her...

Overall, I thought the book was a pretty good read! ;) I just had a moment, get it, goodreads?! Lol, anyways. It had some great action moments and some wonderful love connections. I can't wait to find out what happens in book two because that ending was so not satisfying. To be left with THAT at the end of a book, I'm not happy. But yeah, I do recommend!

5 comments:

  1. Oh few people recommended this book to me. So yeah I've heard it is good but I hope that girl won't piss me off. xD Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooh the weirdness factor reminds me of Unbecoming of Mara Dyer. I love twisted weird books!
    and wow Selena sounds like she'll break my patience limit to annoying characters.
    great review!

    - Juhina @ Maji Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just saw a review of The Poison Princess a few days back, and I'm intrigued by the book! I'll check it out soon. Great review! :D

    Sarika @ The Readdicts

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review. My thoughts about this book are very similiar to yours and I hated Selena. I don't know why did she get suach a big role in this book.

    Anatea @ Anatea's Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVED this book when I read it. I was very impressed with the characters and the concept of the story. And I have no problem agreeing with you about Selena! What annoying b*itch (excuse my language) but she brings back bitter memories! *sigh* Although Jack was there to brighten everything up! LOL ;p Awesome review! I'm glad you enjoyed it and I can't wait for the next book either! :D

    ~ Maida @ Literary Love Affair

    ReplyDelete