Pages


Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Pretty Dark Nothing by Heather L. Reid

Pretty Dark Nothing
by Heather L. Reid
Released |April 2013 by Month9Books|
Edition |eARC|

Source |Netgalley|
Add to Goodreads
It’s been twenty three days since Quinn has slept for more than minutes at a time. Demons have invaded her dreams, stalking her, and whispering of her death. The lack of sleep and crippling fear are ruining her life. Energy drinks and caffeine pills don’t make a dent. When Quinn dozes off in the school hallway, Aaron, an amnesiac with a psychic ability, accidentally enters her nightmare. The demons are determined to keep them apart, and Aaron from discovering the secret locked away in his memory. Together, they could banish the darkness back to the underworld for good. That is, unless the demons kill them first.


Pretty Dark Nothing is one of those books I went into without knowing much about it, so I really had no expectations while reading the book. The synopsis drew me in and I was curious to know what the book was all about, but I must say that this book was not for me. I will say that I did enjoy the authors writing style, which flowed with ease and I liked that a lot and made me continue on to finish the book. It was the characters and the confusion that made me dislike the book.


My dislike for the main character is what made me not like the book so much. Quinn, who hasn't slept in weeks, is being haunted and followed by demons who invade her dreams and mind to pretty much make her feel like crap and make her life miserable. They never leave her alone and she's always on guard, checking every shadow all times of the day. The girl was a ticking time bomb! But the thing about it is that she gave up to easily for me. I can't stand a weak minded character and she was the definition of it. She always settled for less, gave up, and whined. I mean the demons would start to bother her and she'd just give up and let them influence her decisions and actions. I mean, DUDE, at least put up a little bit of a fight instead of hollering 'your not real' throughout the whole book. What's that gonna do?

And the thing that ANNOYED me the most, was her constant indecision about her ex. Why would you want to go back to him? He cheated on you, broke up with you via a text, never returned your calls, and started dating your enemy...Seriously?! You kept pushing away Aaron, who was a great guy by the way, for some false hope of you getting back with the ex. I couldn't stand it. I went through this torture pretty much the entire book. And I didn't understand why this would consist of the majority of the story. Aaron is what pretty much kept me flipping the pages because I actually liked him. He would give up on Quinn and that would annoy me a little bit, but then why wouldn't he? You kissed and hugged your ex in front of his face like Jeff was the best thing since sliced bread. I would have stopped dealing with her a long time ago especially since he didn't have to stay around

The ending was confusing as well. It kind of came out of nowhere and I still don't think I understand it. So what happened to Aaron for sure? Overall, I think the book had a lot of potential, but certain aspects of the book ruined it for me. If you can handle all the things that I couldn't then I think you should go ahead and give the book a try! This is just my personal opinion.  I received a copy of this book through netgalley for an honest review.

11 comments:

  1. Yes! I know it was a good idea to skip this tour. I was really curious because of the blurb but it seems I didn't miss a lot. Sorry that the book disappointed you. Great review

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The blurb had me interested as well, but things just weren't that exciting for me in this book.

      Delete
  2. I'm sorry that the main character was so terrible-- it doesn't sound like this was a very good read at all! It sucks that it was so disappointing. Awesome review, Janina! (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It pretty much wasn't for me. If it wasn't for the main character, it could have been better

      Delete
  3. The constant indecision would probably bother me a lot too. Think I will avoid this one.
    Brandi @ Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is one of the things that always gets me in a book. Make up your mind already!

      Delete
  4. You're not the first one I hear voicing these exact complaints :( Makes me somewhat dread going into my own copy... girls who want to get back with assholes make me want to break things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read many other reviews on this book. At least go in with an open mind Carmen lol

      Delete
  5. There's nothing I dislike more than indecisive protagonists, especially where love is concerned. I'd probably be terribly annoyed by this as well.
    The cover had a great chance of luring me in, but now I know to keep my distance.
    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cover is pretty. That's the main reason I got it on netgalley. My and my cover judging.... lol

      Delete
  6. I just read a similar book where the main character ruined the story for me. I received this through Netgalley too because I loved the sound of the premise. Thanks for sharing your thoughts =)

    ReplyDelete