Pages


Monday, April 8, 2013

Prodigy by Marie Lu

Prodigy
(Legend, #2)
by Marie Lu
Released |January 29th 2013 by Putnam Juvenile|
Edition |eBook|
Add to Goodreads

June and Day arrive in Vegas just as the unthinkable happens: the Elector Primo dies, and his son Anden takes his place. With the Republic edging closer to chaos, the two join a group of Patriot rebels eager to help Day rescue his brother and offer passage to the Colonies. They have only one request—June and Day must assassinate the new Elector.
It’s their chance to change the nation, to give voice to a people silenced for too long.
But as June realizes this Elector is nothing like his father, she’s haunted by the choice ahead. What if Anden is a new beginning? What if revolution must be more than loss and vengeance, anger and blood—what if the Patriots are wrong?
In this highly-anticipated sequel, Lu delivers a breathtaking thriller with high stakes and cinematic action.

Prodigy was one of my most anticipated books of 2013 and I was dying to get my hands on it to continue the wonderful series that Marie Lu started. I thought this was a great sequel to Legend, but I did have a couple issues. Not many and nothing to series, but some. But overall, I thought the book was pretty great. I loved diving back into the world of the Republic, Patriots and Colonies and all the awesome characters.


For some reason, I could not get into Prodigy in the beginning. I would read a chapter or two, put the book down and repeat the process. I felt it was a tad bit slow paced, but it did pick up once I got a quarter of the way through. And then, I COULD NOT PUT THE BOOK DOWN!

June can be a bit of a bland character to me at times, but then she does things that make me start to like her all over again. But the thing about this series that I really like, is being inside both June and Day's head. If Day is doubting something about June, we find out what June is really thinking. (And if it's flipped). I do love June and Day's relationship. They were complete opposites who came to care for each other. There really wasn't that much romance to me in this book. We see the two together for a bit, but then they get put into different places. But I liked that we still saw how much each cared for each other even though they were separated. Now sometimes Day irked my nerves. He has the tendency to think the worst of a situation. We also got to see a little bit more of Anden, the new Elector, that Day and June are suppose to assassinate.  I surprisingly liked him. I don't know what will happen in the next book, but I hope to see more of him. But then there was Tess, the person I do not like. Am I the only one who doesn't like her? The girl annoyed me the majority of the book. I understand her being in love with Day because they've know each other pretty much their whole lives, but her jealousy really turned me off.

On to another topic. The action was pretty intense when we got to it. My eyes were glued to the pages and would not let up! And those last two chapters...SERIOUSLY! I think my heart broke into pieces with that devastating news and the ending was heartbreaking as well. Why didn't he tell her?! UGH! Now, I have to wait until 2014 for book 3....What will happen next?! I am dying to know!


7 comments:

  1. I don't like Tess either. I liked in in Legend but in this one? No. The end broke my heart too. I cannot wait to get my hands on the finale. Great review! :)

    ~Sara @ Forever 17 Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tess was so annoying! OMG, I'm dying for the final book as well!

      Delete
  2. The action sounds great. I would prb have a hard time with the slow paced begining though, but good to know I need to stick with it.
    Brandi @ Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once you get past the beginning things should be smooth sailing :)

      Delete
  3. You are not the only one who dislikes Tess-I wanted to throttle that girl for getting between Day and June! I thought I liked her in Legend but that really changed here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't even know what this series is about, but it sounds interesting! Juen sounds like an okay kind of character, even if she can be kind of bland. ;) But I don't know about Day-- and Tess just sounds annoying. But the action sounds fab! Great review, Janina! (:

    Loves,
    Megan@The Book Babe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first book is Legend which was pretty good :) I hope you get the chance to check out the series Megan!

      Delete