Pages


Thursday, March 13, 2014

Fire and Flood by Victoria Scott

Fire and Flood
(Fire and Flood, #1)
by Victoria Scott
Released |February 25th 2014 by Scholastic Press|
Edition |eARC|

Source |Netgalley|
Add to Goodreads
Tella Holloway is losing it. Her brother is sick, and when a dozen doctors can't determine what's wrong, her parents decide to move to Montana for the fresh air. She's lost her friends, her parents are driving her crazy, her brother is dying—and she's helpless to change anything.
Until she receives mysterious instructions on how to become a Contender in the Brimstone Bleed. It's an epic race across jungle, desert, ocean, and mountain that could win her the prize she desperately desires: the Cure for her brother's illness. But all the Contenders are after the Cure for people they love, and there's no guarantee that Tella (or any of them) will survive the race.
The jungle is terrifying, the clock is ticking, and Tella knows she can't trust the allies she makes. And one big question emerges: Why have so many fallen sick in the first place?
Fire and Flood was an interesting book. Going into it, I really didn't know what to expect because I hadn't seen any review on it at all. But to start off, this was a fast paced read for. I read it within a day and half and I haven't had a quick read like that in awhile. I started the story and never really wanted to put it down. The entire concept of the Brimstone Bleed had me intrigued and wanted to know more and more about it. You have all these people competing against each other for one thing, and that's to win the cure to save a dying family member. Each contender has someone back at home that desperately needs the cure. This was a good read and I'd definitely recommend it to those who like survival and battle type books.


The main character, Tella, was a bit hot and cold for me at first. She is competing for the cure to save her brother's life. No doctor can figure out what's wrong with him, so it's up to her to win the Brimstone Bleed. At times, I thought she was a little bit shallow, but then the other times, I really liked her and her attitude. Tella had to realized a lot of things in this book. In the very beginning, I though to myself 'she isn't going to make it'. She seemed a bit too soft and friendly, but as the book progressed we saw her adapt and fight. She's still a bit too friendly and trusting, in my opinion, but we'll see how that turns out for her. Guy is the love interest in this story. I like him, but he is definitely a mystery. Slowly throughout the story we learn bits and pieces about him and why he's there. I can't wait to see more of him in the next book! I also enjoy a lot of the side characters. They each had a different personality and it made the story easier to read.

I really enjoyed the romance and the action of the story. There was always something going on that kept me engrossed in the story. I never wanted to put it down because I always wanted to know what happened next. Overall, the book was good and I will definitely be continuing on with the series.

15 comments:

  1. Great review! I will be reading this one shortly and glad to hear that everyone is loving it. The action sounds really exciting and I like the sound of learning about Guy voer the course of the book. Tella's character development sound interesting too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy it when you get the chance to read it :)

      Delete
  2. I've been waiting on reviews for this one, but I'm still not completely convinced. I don't know, somethings looks off with this story. Tella is kind of MC that usually annoys me.:/

    Great review, Janina.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol If you do check it out Glass I hope Tella doesn't annoy you too much! It was pretty good in my opinion, the actually little companions that they have to help them out was pretty cool to read about.

      Delete
  3. I love the concept, because we all care about different things, but everyone would do just about anything to save a loved one.
    I love that it's fast paced and that it holds your attention. After being sick for so long, I have a hard time focusing.
    Lovely review, Janina!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do agree that everyone would do anything to save a dying love one. It made the games and the reason people were fighting more realistic.

      Delete
  4. Tella was not my favorite, but I did like the Pandoras :)
    Jen @ YA Romantics

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Pandoras were awesome :) I couldn't remember what they were called for the life of me!

      Delete
  5. I know a lot of people didn't like this one but I am glad to hear you had better luck!!

    Great Review! :)

    Rashika @ The Social Potato

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen mixed reviews on it as well, but I tend to like books like these so I'm glad I enjoyed it :)

      Delete
  6. I def enjoyed this one as well and can't wait for more time with the pandoras..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed it Brandi :) I can't wait for the sequel!

      Delete
  7. This seems so much like THG, but even though the smiliarities are there I'm glad to see that people seem to enjoy it. I'm happy that you enjoyed the story as a whole and the romance was a positive for you:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did have the Hunger Games feel to it, but it was different in certain aspects :)

      Delete
  8. I'm glad you liked this one, dear! I liked the author's Dante Walker series so I wanted to read this one, but I've seen a few reviews before it's publication and unfortunately many of them told about certain issues that would really make me want to stay away. AT LEAST you appreciated the main character! That's always a plus. I'm not sure I'll be able to stand her shallowness, though.

    Thanks for the honest review!

    Faye @ The Social Potato Reviews

    ReplyDelete